Monday, August 25, 2008

And so they convene ...

... in the Mile-High City. Today jump starts perhaps the most historic Democratic National Convention, EVER! I have told you guys before that I was a registered independent until the primaries this year. I was unaware that North Carolina had an open primary until after I had voted. I thought I had to be a Democrat to vote for one in the primaries. It turns out I could have voted for him anyway. So, I guess that makes me a Democrat, for this year anyway. Regardless, I am ecstatic because Sen. Obama did not pick Sen. Clinton as his running mate. In case you've been under a rock all weekend, he chose Sen. Joe Biden as his running mate. I happen to think that is hilarious because I'm sure she thought she had the veep spot sewn up. I happen to think he made an excellent choice for his vice president. Who but Biden can stick his foot all the way down this throat and still have enough mouth to tell it like it is? I was listening to the Tom Joyner Morning Show this morning and folks were calling in to "express themselves" on the new ticket. Some folks were saying they are going to have to pray over whether or not they are going to vote for an Obama/Biden ticket. Some people were saying they were pissed about Biden's comments made early in the primary when he said Obama didn't have any experience and made a few remarks that can be deemed offensive. In February 2007, Biden said: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man." Looking back and given some of the things that have been said about Obama, this comment is far from offensive. It may have been taken out of context, it may have been intentional, regardless of the situation, I think he needs someone who will speak his mind without worrying about who he offends. Sometimes, we just need to hear the truth and more often than not, it hurts. I think hanging with Obama will be good for Biden and vice versa. Biden will learn why it is not OK to say certain things about an entire group of people and why some things are offensive when others are not.Obama will learn more about foreign policy. It's a win/win situation. Tonight will be the official kick-off. Everything starts at 5 p.m. EST. Since I know you all wouldn't be interested in seeing or hearing all the "goings on," I'll just say that Michelle Obama is the keynote speaker tonight. I'm not sure what time she's speaking, all I know is I'm sure she'll be the bomb. Also speaking tonight will be Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., and various other representatives and senators. To give you guys an idea of how this thing will work, I am going to watch the speech tonight and give you my own lil' commentary and preview the next speakers. Is that alright with ya'll?

No comments: