Wednesday, April 16, 2008

21 and counting ...

... not years, debates. Tonight was the 21st debate for the Democrats in the attempt to get a candidate to take on "Old Man" McCain. OK, I shouldn't call him an old man, how about Methuselah? Anyway, Clinton and Obama are still going at it and are showing no signs of slowing down. Under normal circumstances, I'd say a debate is a healthy thing - that's under normal circumstances. Obviously, these circumstances weren't normal, or they didn't seem so to me. It seems to me that the moderators, Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos, were drilling Obama harder than Clinton. Of course a lot more of his "dirty laundry" has been aired in mainstream media as of late, but that should have had no bearing whatsoever on the debate. Usually, debates for public office are designed to talk about the issues and how the candidates differ on those issues. Strangely, these two candidates don't differ that much. Their differences are purely logistical and I think if they were running mates (Hell would sooner freeze twice) they could find a medium. At this point, having debates is pointless. It is almost numerically impossible for Clinton to win the nomination. If the super delegates vote the way their constituents are voting, then Obama has it hands down. Having debates now is simply an opportunity for them to listen to each other speak and clean it up to what the audience wants to hear. In the Philadelphia debate, the audience was stifled by the moderators and the actually had to think about what they were saying. As far as I know, there is one more debate and that will be in my beloved North Carolina. I don't want to see the moderators bringing up Rev. Jeremiah Wright, calling Obama elitist or talking about Clinton's "misrembrance" of being under sniper fire. It's over! You hear me?! Over. The issue is graveyard dead and I don't want to hear about it anymore. I want to know what you are going to do to get North Carolinians working again. I want to know how you are going to replace the manufacturing jobs in Robeson, Guilford, Scotland and Bladen counties that have been shipped overseas. I want to know how you are going to improve education in the state's school districts. How you gonna do it?! ***By the way, anybody know where that dang debate's going to be?***

No comments: